Federal funding for agriculture and other vocational education programs (business education, industrial education, human ecology) at high schools and universities began in the early 20th century. At LSU, this new wave of academic study was embodied in a new department, the Department of Vocational Agricultural Education. In the early 1950's, under the direction of John C. Floyd, the School of Vocational Education was formed and included four departments: Agricultural Extension Education, Vocational Agricultural Education, Vocational Home Economics Education, and Industrial Education.
In the early 1980's these programs changed slightly: Extension Education, Vocational Agricultural Education, Vocational Home Economics Education, and Industrial Education. The Business Education program was transferred to the School in 1983. During this time, the School also recognized a need for a non-certification option for each area of concentration: approximately 50% of vocational education graduates were placed in high school teaching positions. In the late 1980's the School began developing an emerging area of study – Human Resource Development, and by 1990 this program area was formally recognized by the School. The first HRD faculty member was hired in 1992.
Presently, the School consists of three primary areas of concentration: Human Resource & Leadership Development; Agricultural, Adul, Extension, and International Leadership; and Career & Workforce Education. Certification programs include: Agriscience Education and Business Education. For more information on our degree programs, click here.