The Humanities & Social Sciences Residential College (HSSRC), located in Residential College One - South Hall, is open to first-year students of all majors in the College of Humanities & Social Sciences and LSU Global students. It focuses on intercultural communication and global awareness, and is for students who share a common curiosity about other peoples, places, perceptions, and perspectives.
Humanities & Social Sciences Residential College
- Helps students learn about different career opportunities within each major offered
- Helps students learn more about themselves and intercultural communication in a global context
- Nurtures a community of students who share a common interest in diverse thoughts, people, experiences and place
- Enhances students’ communication skills and expands their understanding of global events and issues
- Fostering opportunities for study abroad
- Shares Residential College One – South Hall with the Mass Communication Residential College (MCRC) and creates opportunities for collaboration on programming and activities.
- In-hall study groups & tutoring programs
- Priority scheduling for humanities and social sciences classes
- Residents take selected classes with a cohort of their residential college peers
- On-site academic classrooms (Note: Not all classes are taught on-site.)
- One-on-one mentoring program to help residents adjust to college life both socially and educationally
- Faculty advisers have offices in Residential College One-South Hall
- Interaction with the College of Humanities & Social Sciences faculty, staff, and alumni
- Residential College One South Hall‘s convenient location near the Quad, Middleton Library, and more
Requirements & Eligibility
- Must be a first-year student with a declared major in the College of Humanities & Social Sciences
- Pre-Law is also accepted in the Humanities & Social Sciences Residential College
- Must enroll is at least two HSSRC courses in both the fall and spring semesters:
- Eligible students must select the Humanities & Social Sciences Residential College as their housing preference on housing application to be considered for the program. Residential College One – South Hall will automatically be listed as the choice of building for HSSRC. Students can indicate roommate preferences on the housing application as well.
- Students will be notified of their acceptance into the HSSRC beginning in late fall and will begin room selections in March.
- Residential Colleges Requirements At-a-Glance
Humanities & Social Sciences Residential College Faculty Rector
Josef Horáček, Rector