How to Apply
- Complete the FAFSA or LOSFA application by July 1 each year
- Receive an official award letter from the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance (LOSFA) during late summer after high school graduation
Award Amount & Requirements
Students are notified of their TOPS level in their initial eligibility letter.
|Award||ACT||GPA||Fall 2016 Award||Spring 2017 Award|
|TOPS Honors Award||27||3.0||$3,844.77||$1,726.96|
|TOPS Performance Award||23||3.0||$3,658.65||$1,643.36|
|TOPS Opportunity Award||20||2.5||$3,472.53||$1,559.76|
2016-17 Academic Year Funding
TOPS is funded at 93.06% for the Fall 2016 semester and 41.8% for the Spring 2017 semester.
Students must meet the following requirements each semester to receive payment for TOPS:
- be enrolled full-time on the 15th day of class each semester
- earn 24 credit hours each year over the fall, winter session, spring, spring intersession, and summer semesters
- continuous enrollment through consecutive fall and spring semesters
- maintain the required GPA for specific TOPS award
- 2.0 cumulative GPA at the end of each fall, intersession or summer semesters
- The following GPA’s will be checked at the end of each spring semester:
- Below 48 hours earned – 2.3 GPA
- 48 or above hours earned – 2.5 GPA
- Performance or Honors Recipient – 3.0 GPA
Students can use a semester of TOPS to pay for a summer semester if they have earned at least 60 hours. Summer use of TOPS will count as a full semester of eligibility but will only pay for tuition of enrolled hours. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 hours to receive TOPS for a summer semester.
A TOPS credit is applied to the fee bill of those who are eligible. Disbursement of TOPS funds takes place mid-semester.
- All regular TOPS requirements must be observed for study abroad use
- Students must be enrolled for full time hours; if host institution is on quarter system then the student must make sure hours earned transfer into full time LSU hours
- If the student returns with fewer hours than expected, the student will be responsible for repaying the TOPS funds that were awarded to them
- Students should complete an enrollment verification form after the 14th day of class and return to Financial Aid & Scholarships to verify TOPS eligibility
- Student must submit their transcript to LSU by appropriate deadline or TOPS will be returned and the current anticipated credits will be cancelled.
- Fall Deadline: April 1
- Spring, Summer, and Yearlong Program Deadline: November 1
- Student participating in a study abroad program through another Louisiana university should notify Financial Aid & Scholarships; TOPS will be disbursed from the host institution
Special Notes about TOPS
- TOPS can only be used within one year of high school graduation
- Remaining semesters of TOPS eligibility can be used for graduate school if used within one year
- Students can apply to have their circumstances considered for failure to achieve the required hours earned or to maintain full-time continuous enrollment by contacting LOSFA at 1-800-259-5626 ext. 1012 or email@example.com.