Hazardous Material Management Questions

1. We have hazardous or chemical material for disposal, how do we get it picked up?

When ready for waste pick up; fill out “Request for Collection” form. It can be submitted online emailed to hazwaste@lsu.edu faxed to 225-578-7489 or mailed to C201G Copy and Mail Center.

2. How do we handle our fluorescent light bulbs?

They can be picked up by EHS or delivered to the hazardous material control center. Used bulbs should be placed into the original bulb container and properly sealed.

Fluorescent bulb handling

3. How do we handle our batteries?

Several battery recycle containers are located throughout campus. Batteries can also be picked up by EHS. LSU EHS accepts all types of batteries. EHS prefers having  alkaline batteries separated from other types of batteries. All batteries are recycled.

4. How do we handle our empty chemical containers?

Empty glass chemical containers may be placed in a broken glass box or other sturdy cardboard box, properly sealed, and carried by lab employees to the trash dumpster. Certain empty plastic containers may be suitable for the recycle dumpster.

5. Can we pour chemicals down the drain?

Chemicals cannot be poured down the drain. We are served by the Baton Rouge city sewer system, and introduction of chemicals into the drains can result in unsafe conditions for campus personnel and even personnel off campus in neighboring communities. Do not dispose of hazardous waste in the trash or evaporate in fume hoods. If you have a question about what can be placed in the drains, please call our office at 8-5640.

6. How long can I store reactive chemicals and peroxide forming chemicals?

Reactive and Peroxide forming compounds must have a date of receipt and opening date written on the container. The maximum storage period must not have expired. This is generally six months to one year.

7. What are the procedures if I am closing my lab?

The Procedures are shown in our Lab Cleanout page

Bio Safety
EHS Bulletin
Chemical Safety