LSU Discover Scholars are those students who exemplify outstanding undergraduate research or creative endeavors within their fields. LSU faculty may nominate their students using the process described below. University wide, up to 10 students may be selected.
The 2017 application and nomination period is now closed.
Timeline for 2017 Discover Scholars Award:
- October 26, 2016: Online Application/Nomination Opens
January 27, 2017: Online Application/Nomination ClosesApplication/nomination deadline has been extended to 7:30 AM on Monday, January 30th.
- February 16, 2017: 2017 Discover Scholars Awardees Announced
- March 2, 2017: 2017 Discover Scholars Ceremony
Meet Past Discover Scholar Awardees:
Application & Nomination Process
Each student considered for the award must complete an application and ask a faculty member submit a nomination letter. Or faculty can nominate a student and the nominated student will be contacted to complete the application.
Nomination to be completed by the LSU faculty mentor
- Submit a letter of support via the Nomination Form. Faculty should consult the Scoring Rubric for LSU Discover Scholars before writing the support letter.
Application to be completed by the student candidate
- Submit a resume or CV highlighting research and academic success to the Application Form.
- Write a one-page statement to upload to the Application Form discussing the mastery of the following research skills: information literacy, methodological proficiency, professional ethics, research concept, and communication. See the Scoring Rubric for LSU Discover Scholars which more fully explains what is meant for each skill.
- Submit a 30-second video expressing the importance of their work to the discipline/profession. Click here for instructions to upload an unlisted, shareable video.
Nominated students must meet the following criteria before their nomination will be sent to the selection committee
- The student must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate at LSU and remain as an undergraduate student through at least May 2017.
- The student must be nominated by an LSU faculty mentor.
- Student project need not be completed at the time of nomination.
- The student must be in good standing with the university.
- The student’s work should not be a class assignment, but a capstone-level project similar to an honors thesis, final art show, senior project, or comprise a similar level of effort.
- The student’s work must be the product of mentored scholarship or creative endeavor at LSU.
- The student must not be a previous Discover Scholar awardee.
- The student must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA
Selection and Notification Process
- The LSU Discover Advisory Board will review all applications and nominations.
- Each student and their mentor will be individually contacted to inform them that they have been selected.
- The winners will be announced on the LSU Discover Website, newsletter, and social media. The Dean from each college will be notified of their college’s winner(s).
- Award plaque
- Award ceremony
- Special recognition at LSU Discover Day
- Up to $1000 travel stipend reimbursement*
* Travel reimbursement details: Students may use their travel stipends to pay for costs associated with attending or presenting research, a project, or the like at an academic or professional event such as a conference or symposium.
Students will need to pay for all travel and conference costs up front. Students must complete the following actions in order to receive reimbursement for their travel:
- Submit a letter of approval to attend or present at the event from the student’s faculty mentor to the LSU Discover Coordinator. An email from the faculty mentor to LSU Discover is sufficient.
- Before booking any travel, student must meet with the LSU Discover Program Manager to review LSU travel guidelines and expenditure limits.
- For presenting students, forward or scan the letter of acceptance to present to the LSU Discover Program Manager.
- Bring event registration, airfare and hotel receipts to the LSU Discover Program Manger within 4 days of return from travel.
- Must give LSU Discover a photo of themselves presenting their research or attending the event.
- Awardee should present their work at the LSU Discover Day event (April 4, 2017).
- Awardee should attend the LSU Discover Scholars award ceremony.
- Awardee must agree to be photographed and interviewed for publication on our website www.lsu.edu/discover or for other promotional materials or events.
- Awardee will also be asked to act as undergraduate research ambassadors. Possible activities include discussing their research experiences with other students, promoting LSU Discover Day to students within their college, talking to prospective students at Spring Invitational, or volunteering for Discover Day.