Requirements for the MLIS degree are :
- satisfactory completion of a minimum of 36 semester hours (21 hours of core courses and 15 hours of elective courses)
- completion of the degree program in five years. Credit for individual courses taken more than five years before completion of the program may, in some cases, be validated. Requirements for doing so are set by SLIS Policy Statement #14. The school will not validate courses taught by another faculty, either within or without the LSU System.
Graduate Grade-Point Average
A student must maintain a 3.00 grade-point average (GPA) in SLIS courses and courses offered by other units to be counted toward the MLIS. A SLIS student who receives a grade of “C” in three courses will not be eligible for the MLIS degree, regardless of whether the courses are repeated for a higher grade. Core courses must be completed with a grade of “A” or “B.” A student who earns a “C” in any core course must repeat the course during the next semester in which the student is enrolled and the course is offered, and earn a grade of “A” or “B.” A core course may be repeated only once.
Students admitted Fall 2015 or later must complete the following seven core courses:
- 7000 Information and Society
- 7002 Information Services
- 7004 Management of Information Organizations
- 7008 Information Technologies and Systems
- 7010 Organization of Information
- 7011 Information Needs and Information Seeking
- 7809 Understanding Research
Students admitted prior to Fall 2015 must complete the following seven core courses :
- 7000 Information and Society OR 7005 Foundations of Library and Information Science OR 7605 Information Science
- 7002 Information Services OR 7610 Information Retrieval Systems
- 7004 Management of Information Organizations (formerly Principles of Management for Librarians and Information Specialists)
- 7008 Information Technologies and Systems (formerly Information Technologies)
- 7010 Organization of Information OR 7012 Bibliographic Organization and Resource Development OR 7408 Principles of Archival Management OR 7510 Website Design and Management
- 7011 Information Needs Analysis
- 7809 Understanding Research OR 7013 Evaluation of Information Systems
Students should select a minimum of five elective courses (15 hours) in consultation with their advisors.
Transfer and Extension Credit
Up to six semester hours of graduate credit from other universities may be considered for transfer toward the MLIS degree. A student requesting transfer credit must have been enrolled in the graduate school from which the credit is to be transferred. Up to 12 graduate semester hours of credit earned from within the LSU System, but outside the SLIS, may be considered for application toward the MLIS degree. In either case, the hours must be relevant to library and information science, recommended by the student’s advisor, and approved by the dean of the Graduate School. The work must have been taken for graduate residence credit and must have been part of an otherwise satisfactory graduate program. Further, Graduate School policy states that no course work older than five years from other schools may be accepted as transfer credit. To petition for acceptance of transfer credit, the student must have completed at least nine hours of graduate residence credit at LSU. No credit will be transferred for courses completed with a grade of “C” or below, or unsatisfactory, or the equivalent.