Unplug Energy Competition
This year’s Unplug Energy Competition will begin February 29 and run through March 18, 2016.
Each spring, the Department of Residential Life Sustainability Committee hosts Unplug, a national competition to conserve energy on campus. Unplug is a three week commitment by LSU’s on-campus population to use less electricity, produce less waste, and be good stewards of this planet’s resources. This year’s Unplug Energy Competition will run February 29 through March 18, 2016. During this time, residence halls and apartments will compete to see who can save the highest percentage of electricity! The winning community will be announced after Spring Break.
Energy Saving Tips
1. Change computer to sleep mode or turn it off when not in use.
2. Change incandescent light bulbs to compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) or LEDs.
3. Use task specific lighting and take advantage of natural light.
4. Unplug chargers, TVs, and stereos when not in use. They still draw energy when plugged into the wall!
5. Take the stairs rather than the elevator.
6. Do large loads of laundry with cold water.
7. Keep showers under 7 minutes.
8. Keep the refrigerator door closed unless it is in direct use.
9. Adjust the thermostat to 78° in the summer and 68° in the winter.
10. Only run the dishwasher when it is full.
11. Eat what you take. Reduce food waste.
For more information on how LSU is being sustainable, visit the Campus Sustainability page.