Unplug Energy Competition
This year’s Unplug Energy Competition will begin March 9 and run through Monday, March 30, 2015.
Each spring, the Department of Residential Life Sustainability Committee hosts Unplug, a national competition to conserve energy on campus. Unplug is a three week commitment by LSU’s on-campus population to use less electricity, produce less waste, and be good stewards of this planet’s resources. This year’s Unplug Energy Competition will run March 9 through March 30, 2015. During this time, residence halls and apartments will compete to see who can save the highest percentage of electricity! The winning community will have an ice cream social hosted by the Department of Residential Life Sustainability Committee.
Individual residence halls and apartments aren’t the only ones competing! Unplug is a part of the Campus Conservation Nationals. With CCN, colleges and universities across the country compete to conserve the most energy and spread the importance of sustainability. Last year, LSU finished in the Top 10 nationwide! Let’s keep it up and make the Top 5 this year!
March 9, 11:00AM – 1:00PM
Visit the Unplug table in The 459 and The 5 to take the Pledge to Live Green. Set sustainability goals, learn ways to get involved with Unplug, and pick up a water bottle, some sunglasses, or one of our other great giveaways.
March 17, 1:00PM – 3:00PM
How many aluminum cans are used in the US each year? How many years would a glass bottle take to decompose? Play Sustainability Trivia! The Residential Life custodial staff will be set up in the lobby of each residential community. Answer their questions correctly and take home some candy.
Energy Saving Tips
1. Change computer to sleep mode or turn it off when not in use.
2. Change incandescent light bulbs to compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) or LEDs.
3. Use task specific lighting and take advantage of natural light.
4. Unplug chargers, TVs, and stereos when not in use. They still draw energy when plugged into the wall!
5. Take the stairs rather than the elevator.
6. Do large loads of laundry with cold water.
7. Keep showers under 7 minutes.
8. Keep the refrigerator door closed unless it is in direct use.
9. Adjust the thermostat to 78° in the summer and 68° in the winter.
10. Only run the dishwasher when it is full.
11. Eat what you take. Reduce food waste.
For more information on Unplug, please contact Sophia Seiverth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on how LSU is being sustainable, visit the Campus Sustainability page.
Save the Boot Video Contest
Saving energy and the environment while living on campus can really pay off! We want you to show us how you live sustainably on campus through the Save the Boot video contest February 6-28, 2015.
Submissions are no longer being accepted for the 2015 contest, but it’s not too early to start planning your video for next year! Click here for the official rules and guidelines of the Save the Boot video contest.