This page is in progress..check back for more information soon!
Each spring the Department of Resident Life’s Sustainability Committee hosts UNPLUG, a energy conservation competition. March 2014 marked the sixth annual UNPLUG competition among on-campus communities to see which community can reduce energy and water consumption the most (as compared to a baseline average of the last three year’s energy consumption during the same timeframe), and yet again the program yielded great results. Residents also are competing against 150 other schools through www.Competetoreduce.com.
UNPLUG seeks to promote an understanding throughout the LSU on-campus community of what energy conservation entails, by empowering students to take action in their daily lives. This is done by working to reduce the students’ own personal carbon footprint and, consequently, increase the university’s contribution to conservation of resources and energy efficiency. Whether it’s taking shorter showers, walking rather than driving, turning off lights or unplugging phantom chargers, students are educated and encouraged to do one thing to conserve energy.
Through educating and motivating students on how small adjustments in their daily routines can positively impact the world around them, the organizers, Residential Life and Campus Sustainability, seek to help the LSU community practice energy efficiency in everyday living, and cultivate a greater awareness for sustainable practices.
Residents of the winning community – one residence hall community and one apartment community – will be invited to attend an exclusive celebration party with food and prizes like flash drives, reusable totes, t-shirts and more!
For now, here’s what YOU can do:
1. DO your one thing! Make small adjustments to your daily routines to save energy, recycle, reduce water and food waste or live better. Unplug your phone charger, turn off lights, take the stairs, or take shorter showers. Look for more tips throughout the competition!
2. Do One Thing & Tell The World with #LSUUNPLUG!
3. LEARN! The UNPLUG team will be in your community with programs, prizes, food, and more!
4. Follow LSU’s progress at www.Competetoreduce.com.
Energy Saving Tips
1. Change computer to sleep mode or turn it off when not in use.
2. Change incandescent light bulbs to compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs).
3. Use task specific lighting and take advantage of natural light.
4. Unplug chargers, TVs, and stereos when not in use. They still draw energy when plugged into the wall!
5. Take the stairs rather than the elevator.
6. Do large loads of laundry cold water.
7. Take shorter showers.
8. Keep the refrigerator door closed.
9. Adjust the thermostat to 78° in the summer and 68° in the winter.
10. Only run the dishwasher when it is full.
11. Reduce food waste.
See pictures and video at www.facebook.com/LSUResLife and www.youtube.com/LSUReslife
See how much energy you can save: http://www.willyoujoinus.com/usingenergywisely/energygenerator/
Learn more about DOTS:
Measure your carbon footprint and see potential savings:
Play the Energy hog “Hog & Seek” Game:
Get Energy Star tips for your home:
Make “green” crafts:
Learn about Vampire Energy:
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our program representatives:
Director – Housing
Graduate Assistant – Housing