The Business Residential College (BRC) is sponsored by the E.J. Ourso College of Business and opened in Residential College One – West Hall in the fall of 2008. This group of business students is the next generation of business leaders who will have unique educational and professional development opportunities available to them by living in and participating in the Business Residential College in Residential College One – West Hall.
Part of the mission of the Business Residential College is to acclimate students to business culture. Residential Life staff conducts special seminars in the res hall on topics such as resume writing and business etiquette to give students a head start in the professional environment. LSU Career Services also hosts programs in the Business Residential College to help residents find and prepare for internships and full-time employment opportunities. Students will also have opportunities to interact with business professionals through a series of lectures and workshops designed to expose students to real-life business experiences.
The program is open to first-year students who have declared a major within the College of Business. The BRC is home to more than 200 students who live in West Hall, part of the Residential College One Complex living-learning community on the west side of campus.
Students will take at least two classes every semester with other BRC students, with some of them in one of the on-site classrooms in the Residential College One Complex. The BRC has on-site academic advisors with scheduled office hours, and students will have priority scheduling for their business classes.
• In-hall study groups
• In-hall tutoring programs
• Business seminars on topics such as resume writing and job searching
• Priority scheduling for business classes
• Residents take selected classes with a cohort of their residential college peers
• On-site academic classrooms (Note: Not all classes are taught on-site.)
• Business faculty advisers have offices in Residential College One- West Hall
• Interaction with College of Business faculty, staff, and alumni
• Residential College One – West Hall‘s convenient location near The 5 dining hall, Middleton Library, and more
• As part of the E. J. Ourso College’s “Finish in Four” effort, residents of the Business Residential College will also receive special assistance to ensure that they complete their bachelor’s degrees in four years.
Requirements & Eligibility
• The Business Residential College has required courses for first-year students living in the residential college for fall and spring semesters.
• Must be a first-year student with a declared major in the E.J. Ourso College of Business
• Eligible students must select the Business Residential College as their housing preference on the first page of the housing application to be considered for the program. Residential College One – West Hall will automatically be listed as the choice of building for BRC. Students can indicate roommate preferences on the housing application as well.
• Students will be notified of their acceptance into the BRC by the E.J. Ourso College of Business in mid-spring, and the Residential Life assignments staff will begin making room assignments in March.
Business Residential College Faculty Rectors
Jan Holmes, Rector
Dan Marin, Associate Rector