As of 5 p.m. on May 8, 2015 a standby list was implemented for applications for fall 2015 undergraduate housing. Students applying for undergraduate housing after 5 p.m. on May 8, 2015 are placed on the standby list.
When the number of applications for undergraduate on-campus housing approaches Residential Life’s housing capacity, a standby list is implemented to ensure as many students are placed in on-campus housing as possible.
As housing cancellations come in, those spaces are assigned to students on the standby list in the order of their date of housing application. Students on the standby list are not guaranteed a space on campus, however, students are encouraged to be patient since in previous years the majority of those who waited it out on the standby list received spaces on campus. Learn more in our FAQs.
First, let’s talk roommate matching and roommate requests:
- The roommate matching section of the online housing portal will be available the afternoon of Monday, January 26, 2015.*
- *Tiger Bridge students will have access to the roommate matching section of the online housing portal in May.
- This is where you can search for compatible roommate , invite students to room with you, and accept or decline those roommate requests. Even if you know who you want your roommate to be, you must go into the system and accept each other as roommates.
- You will only be able to see roommates you are eligible to live with. So if you are in the Engineering Res College, you will only see roommates who are also in the Engineering Res College.
- All new incoming students can access the portal via their myLSU account > Student Services > On-Campus Housing > Application > Res Hall/East & West Campus Apts – Fall 2015 Term
- For detailed instructions, please review the New Assignments Guide, or read more in our FAQs.
Tips for Res College, Honors and Themed Housing Students:
- The priority deadline to indicate your roommate preferences in the housing portal is February 23, 2015.
- Please try to have your roommates requested and confirmed by this date so the Res Life Assignments staff can place you correctly when they start room assignments the first week in March.
- You will only be able to see roommates you are eligible to live with. You will only be able to see roommates you are eligible to live with. So if you are in the Engineering Res College, you will only see roommates who are also in the Engineering Res College.
- Honors students have priority in the Laville Honors House. Honors students may requests non-honors roommates, but those assignments will only be made as space is available in the Laville Honors House which may not be until late summer if at all.
- Tiger Bridge students will have access to the roommate section of the housing portal in May.
Tips for Traditional Housing Students:
- Log in to the online housing portal starting January 26 to search for and request roommates.
- Only requested and confirmed roommates will be able to be invited into your room during room selection in April. Learn more about that process below.
Now, let’s talk room assignments:
Room assignments are done in two ways:
(1) If you indicated your building preference as a residential college, the Honors House, or a themed housing option on your housing application:
- Our Res Life Assignments staff makes your room assignment for you starting in March. Our staff looks at who you requested as a roommate in the housing portal, and if that person accepted your request. All roommates’ requests must be mutual to be honored, and we do our best to get everyone with their preferred roommate.
- Tiger Bridge room assignments will be made in the summer.
- Please have roommate requests in by February 23, so the staff can make accurate room assignments starting the first week in March.
- To see your room assignment, view your housing status in the online housing portal via myLSU.
- If a residential college program reaches the maximum number of qualified students, a wait list for that individual residential college is started. For example, the Engineering Residential College (ERC) may have a wait list because the number of students applying for the ERC sometimes exceeds the number of spaces (beds) available in the program. Many of the students on the res college wait lists get into the res colleges as spaces become available, and the remainder all get spaces in the traditional halls.
- If you are not assigned to your preferred program by the date your application group goes online to select traditional spaces, you will participate in the traditional housing online room selection process. If a space opens up in your requested program, you will be re-assigned to your requested residential college by our Res Life Assignments Staff. If you prefer to stay in your traditional assignment and not be moved, you need to change your preference by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
(2) If you did not indicate a preference for a living-learning program on your housing application and instead want to live in a traditional housing option:
- First-year students opting to live in traditional residence halls, those open to all years of students and all majors, go online according to the schedule below to select their room assignment with the option of inviting one roommate to the room.
- You will go online to select your room and building according to the schedule below, based on your housing date of application. This process is only for traditional halls, and does not apply to students living in residential colleges, themed housing, or the Honors House.
- Be sure to search for, request and accept roommates as described at the top of this page before you go online in April to select your room. You must request a roommate and that roommate must accept your roommate request to be able to invite each other into a room during online room selection in April.
- If you still need help with your room assignment once the window closes for your assigned group, you can work with our Assignments Staff.
- Students who do not select their hall/room during this time will have their assignments made by the Res Life staff.
- By the end of the last group’s assigned days, there may not be a sufficient number of spaces accessible in the system for all remaining students to receive their room assignments at that time. Please be patient. This is a normal part of the assignment process, and these students will receive their room assignments as room cancellations come in, and holds on rooms for special programs are released.
- Review the New Assignments Guide for complete instructions.
If you applied for traditional housing: You will choose your space: October 1-15, 2014 April 6 (1 p.m.) – April 10 (10 a.m.) October 16 – November 2014 April 13 (1 p.m.) – April 17 (10 a.m.) December 2014 – January 2015 April 20 (1 p.m.) – April 24 (10 a.m.) February 2015 and later April 27 (1 p.m.) – May 1 (10 a.m.)