Career Discovery Residential College (CDRC) is Res Life’s newest residential college, and it is housed in spacious and beautiful Broussard Hall.
Incoming freshmen of all majors who are not participating in the Honors College are eligible for this themed-based residential college. Career Discovery is new for fall 2014, and its goal is to help guide first-year students in the discovery process of selecting their major and career. Programs in this community are geared toward self -discovery and career exploration, exploring various majors within LSU and their related careers. CDRC collaborates with LSU Career Services, the Center for Academic Success, and the University College Center for Freshman Year to offer excellent, focused programs and services to its residents to help them achieve their discovery goals.
Technological skills are also stressed as a vital part of succeeding in today’s global economy, and the CDRC offers a laptop friendly wireless environment for students to connect academically and socially, participate in class assignments in Broussard Hall’s state-of-the-art multi-media classrooms, and more. While not required, laptops are highly recommended for CDRC students.
The program has been designed to
- Help students learn about the various majors offered at LSU
- Help students learn about different career opportunities within each major offered
- Help students learn more about themselves
- Nurture a community of students who share a common interest in self-discovery and career exploration
- In-hall study groups
- In-hall tutoring programs
- Seminars on topics such as resume writing and job searching
- Priority scheduling for general education classes
- Residents take selected classes with a cohort of their residential college peers
- On-site academic classrooms (Note: Not all classes are taught on-site.)
- CDRC faculty advisers have offices in Broussard Hall
- Interaction with LSU faculty, staff, and alumni
- Preparation for students’ eventual sophomore or junior year application and entrance into their intended major
Requirements & Eligibility
- The Career Discovery Residential College has required courses for first-year students living in the residential college for fall and spring semesters.
- Must be a first-year non-honors student
- Students should have an interest in exploring various majors offered by LSU and the associated careers
- Eligible students must select the Career Discovery Residential College as their housing preference on the first page of the housing application to be considered for the program. Broussard Hall will automatically be listed as the choice of building for CDRC. Students can indicate roommate preferences on the housing application as well.
- Students will be notified of their acceptance into the CDRC in mid-spring, and the Residential Life assignments staff will begin making room assignments in March.
- Residential Colleges Requirements At-a-Glance
Career Discovery Residential College Faculty Rector
Saundra Granger, Rector