The College of Human Sciences & Education Residential College (HSERC) is sponsored by the College of Human Sciences & Education (CHSE) and opened in fall 2015 in the brand new Cypress Hall. The community offers an educational and social community for the broad spectrum of majors within CHSE, including tomorrow’s researchers, social workers, counselors, teachers and principals, librarians, archivists, physical and human movement scientists, doctors, occupational and physical therapists, physician assistants, dentists, athletic trainers, sports administrators, higher education professionals, and human resource professionals.
The program is open to first-year students majoring in the college’s School of Education, School of Kinesiology, and School of Social Work. Additional majors eligible to live in Cypress Hall include Allied Health majors of Pre-physician Assistant, Pre-Physical Therapy, Pre-Occupational Therapy, Pre-Cardiopulmonary Sciences, Pre-Clinical Laboratory Sciences (Medical Technologists), Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Nursing, and Pre-Dental Hygiene.
The HSERC provides a component of student life that interfaces learning both inside and outside the classroom and improves the academic atmosphere of LSU. Students in these qualifying majors and programs live in Cypress Hall on the west side of campus. Residents explore their diverse major paths through programs hosted in the building by in-hall staff and CHSE faculty members.
Students take at least two classes every semester with other HSERC students, with some of them in one of the on-site classrooms in Cypress Hall. The HSERC has on-site academic advisors with scheduled office hours, and students will have priority scheduling for some CHSE classes including exclusive access to some CHSE courses typically reserved for second-year students. Activity courses like golf, tennis, jogging and aerobics will also be course options for HSERC students.
- In-hall study groups
- In-hall tutoring programs
- Priority scheduling for some CHSE classes, including courses typically reserved for second-year students
- Residents take selected classes with a cohort of their residential college peers
- On-site academic classrooms (Note: Not all classes are taught on-site.)
- One-on-one mentoring and advising program to help new residents adjust to college life both socially and educationally
- Programs and demonstrations by CHSE faculty members
- Cypress Hall‘s convenient location near The 5 dining hall, Peabody Hall, Middleton Library and more
Requirements & Eligibility
- The College of Human Sciences & Education Residential College has required courses for first-year students living in the residential college for fall and spring semesters. Students must register for a minimum of two classes with the CHSERC.
- Must be a first-year student with a declared major in the CHSE’s School of Education, School of Kinesiology, or School of Social Work, or have a declared major of Pre-physician Assistant, Pre-Physical Therapy, Pre-Occupational Therapy, Pre-Cardiopulmonary Sciences, Pre-Clinical Laboratory Sciences (Medical Technologists), Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Nursing, or Pre-Dental Hygiene
- Eligible students must select the CHSE Residential College as their housing preference on the housing application to be considered for the program. Cypress Hall will automatically be listed as the choice of building for CHSERC. Students can indicate roommate preferences during the housing application process as well.
- Students will be notified of their acceptance into the HSERC by the College of Human Sciences & Education in mid-spring, and the Residential Life assignments staff will begin making room assignments in March.
- Residential Colleges Requirements At-a-Glance
- Identify factors that influence health and wellbeing across the life course
- Demonstrate effective oral, written, and visual communication skills
- Become familiar with the research process
- Develop a sense of community and social responsibility
Human Sciences & Education Residential College Faculty Rector
Wanda Hargroder Ph.D., Rector
1011 Cypress Hall | 225-578-7178 p