The Global Connections Residential College (GCRC),located in Residential College One – South Hall, is open to first-year students of all majors in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, and to undergraduate international students. It focuses on international engagement and global interconnections, and is for students who share a common curiosity about other peoples, places, perceptions, and perspectives. Global Connections is devoted to exploring Louisiana’s rich international cultural heritage, expanding students understanding of global events and issues, and fostering opportunities for study and service abroad. Beginning fall 2015, pre-law students can participate in this residential college.
Students who enroll in the GCRC will live together in the recently constructed Residential College One – South Hall, part of the new Residential College residential community. The RCC is also home to the Engineering Residential College (ERC), the Business Residential College (BRC), and the Mass Communication Residential College (MCRC). Global Connections will share South Hall with students in the MCRC, and they will also participate in some joint activities in the complex.
The bedrooms in South Hall are suite-style bathrooms, with two rooms in a suite sharing a common bathroom. There are spacious interior and exterior common areas, study rooms on every floor, a modern kitchen and laundry facility.
- In-hall study groups
- In-hall tutoring programs
- Priority scheduling for humanities and social sciences classes
- Residents take selected classes with a cohort of their residential college peers
- On-site academic classrooms (Note: Not all classes are taught on-site.)
- One-on-one mentoring program to help new residents adjust to college life both socially and educationally
- Faculty advisers have offices in Residential College One- South Hall
- Interaction with the College of Humanities and Social Sciences faculty, staff, and alumni
- Residential College One South Hall‘s convenient location near the Journalism Building, Middleton Library, and more
Requirements & Eligibility
- The Global Connections Residential College has required courses for first-year students living in the residential college for fall and spring semesters. Students must register for a minimum of two classes with the Global Connections Residential College, and scheduling preference will be given to GCRC students for the required courses and some additional course options.
- Must be a first-year student with a declared major in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences or an undergraduate international student
- Eligible students must select the Global Connections Residential College as their housing preference on the first page of the housing application to be considered for the program. Residential College One – South Hall will automatically be listed as the choice of building for GCRC. Students can indicate roommate preferences on the housing application as well.
- Students will be notified of their acceptance into the GCRC in mid-spring, and the Residential Life assignments staff will begin making room assignments in March.
- Residential Colleges Requirements At-a-Glance
Global Connections Residential College Faculty Rector
Dr. Meredith Veldman, Rector