LSU requires that all researchers (students and faculty) read and sign the security of data agreement. Send the signed agreement along with your application to the IRB office. No applications will be approved without the signed agreement. **effective June 28, 2010**
LSU requires that all researchers (students and faculty) complete the NIH on-line human subjects training. It takes about 3 hours to complete the course. Upon successfully completing the course, you will receive an electronic certificate. Send the completed certificate to the IRB Office. No IRB applications will be approved until all of the researchers’ certificates are obtained.
**Exemptions take about two weeks to process, and regular approvals take from one to two months depending on if it requires full board approval or if it can be expedited**
- Completed applications should be submitted by email to the IRB Office or one of the Human Subjects Screening Committee members for research that may be exempted.
- If you know that your study does not qualify for an exemption, use this application.
- Completed applications should be submitted by email to the IRB Office. Please allow ample time for review of the application (one to two months).
- If you think your study needs full board approval, submit it to the IRB no less than 5 days prior to the next meeting.
- Continuation Applications should be submitted by email to the IRB Office no later than two months before the date of expiration.
- Regular Applications (Expedited or Full Review Applications) expire annually.
- Exemption Applications expire three years from the date of approval. The project will automatically be closed by the IRB on the expiration date unless the PI requests an extension.
Modification of Approved Studies
- Modification requests should be submitted to the IRB Office by email. In the email, include a description of the proposed modification and attach any study materials that are new or being revised.
- Inclusion/exclusion criteria are needed in consent documents.
- Click the above link to find sample guides and links to federal guidelines.
- We compiled a list of frequently asked questions.
- For questions about HIPAA compliance, bridging components of IRB/human subjects regulation and research and development from patenting to technology transfer, to the FDA regulatory scheme for products, and even reaching into health care delivery please contact Michael Malinowski at firstname.lastname@example.org. Michael Malinowski is not a member of the LSU IRB but is listed here as a resource.