This website is also a veritable source of information for research opportunities, compliance issues and research accomplishments for our faculty and staff. Our faculty and students have won major awards both national and international. ORED is also invested heavily in economic development activities of relevance to the State of Louisiana and looks forward to mutually beneficial research agreements with all private and foundation partners. Whether you are a small start-up, or a major industry looking for research partnership, we have the faculty and staff to help you realize them. As the public Flagship University of the State of Louisiana, we serve all segments of the society, locally, nationally and internationally.
Kalliat T. Valsaraj
Vice President for Research & Economic Development
To enhance, expand and positively impact the intellectual enterprise, cultural resources, and economic activities within the State of Louisiana, the Nation and, the world.
To support a holistic, university-wide environment in which advanced research, effective scholarship, and economic development can thrive and support the LSU Flagship 2020 Agenda.
Enhance Research Initiatives
- Create a supportive environment for established and/or emerging multidisciplinary research initiatives with local, national and international partners
Develop Research Enterprise and Expand Economic Development
- Faculty Development/Institutional Resources: Enable and enhance high impact scholarly research and creative activities on campus
- Research Infrastructure: Facilitate the necessary infrastructure for an environment that promotes a thriving research enterprise
- Economic Development/Technology Transfer: Advance and support the economic and work force development emphasis in the State
Increase Research Communications
- Enhance the image of LSU as an internationally prominent research institution.
You can download the complete 2012 ORED Research Strategic Plan (PDF).
Research Focus Areas
The research strategic plan outlines seven focus areas of interdisciplinary research, which are supported through coordinated grant writing and initiatives.
- Individual Behavior & Community Context:
- Research on the individual behavioral and cognitive aspects of varied social phenomena such as health, crime, developmental trajectories over the life course, and socioeconomic attainment and how historical and cultural community contexts produce differential outcomes.
- Communication & Expression:
- The scientific, humanistic and artistic dimensions of the human communicative experience and how they intersect with and augment in novel ways the process of discovery.
- Biological, Biotechnology & Biomedical Research (B3R):
- Important basic and applied problems in specific areas of biology will be addressed by interacting groups in the sciences, engineering, and agriculture as well as those in the humanities and social sciences.
- Coastal Sustainability & Environment (CS&E):
- Environmental, social and economic sustainability in coastal landscapes of the Mississippi River and deltaic coasts around the world.
- Conventional and Renewable Energy (C&RE):
- Exploration of efficient extraction of conventional energy and renewable energy in a sustainable fashion for various applications.
- Materials Science & Engineering (MS&E):
- The science and engineering of the fabrication and characterization of advanced materials and their applications in various sectors of our economy and daily life.
- Core Computing/High Performance Computing (CC/HPC):
- Enable breakthroughs in computational science and its applications in various areas in science, engineering, arts and humanities.