GARDEN DESIGN TIPS, IDEAS, AND INSPIRATION for residential design, including lectures, studio exercises and garden tours!
Featuring Designers and Horticulturist Van Cox and Bill Rountree
Thursday Mornings, 9am-12noon, Mar 3, 10, 17, 31 & Apr 7, 14, 2016
$250 Members/$285 Non-Members
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
- Anyone interested in residential garden design
PROGRAM CERTIFICATE AND CEU’S
- 18 CEU’S Master Gardeners
- Program Certificate Upon Completion
The Friends of Hilltop Arboretum invite you to sign up for a six session residential landscape design program “Garden Design Tips, Ideas and Inspiration” featuring landscape architects and horticulturists Van Cox and Bill Rountree. Van and Bill will inspire you with their garden tips and ideas that will enable you to create your own garden plans, and express yourself like a designer. A field trip is planned to the gardens of Steve and Claire Wilson and Tricia Day and Joe Simmons for inspiration and to broaden your understanding of design structure, styles and sustainability.
William Rountree is a licensed Landscape Architect, whose company, Rountree Designs, Inc. has been in business for more than 35 years. Mr. Rountree designs, installs, and maintains residential and commercial landscapes throughout the Baton Rouge metro area and surrounding parishes. Well-known for his emphasis on seasonal color, Mr. Rountree selects plants not often used in our area, based on plant trial research and exclusive grower contracts. His landscapes have been featured in magazine and newspaper articles and can be seen at every one of the 50+ McDonald’s Restaurants in the region. Mr. Rountree is on the leading edge of sustainable landscape design, incorporating rainwater harvesting for irrigation systems, permeable surfaces for reducing storm water runoff, edible landscape design, use of organic fertilizers, and fewer chemical pesticides. He is also a speaker for landscape and master gardener courses, served on the LSU AgCenter “Superplant” selection committee, and has co-hosted a garden radio show for 7 years.
Van Cox (Professor Emeritus, LSU School of Landscape Architecture) brings years of experience in teaching basic design principles, drawing techniques and other ways in which you can express yourself like a landscape designer. Van has put together an outstanding collection of garden images to illustrate the principles he teaches and is an instructor for continuing education programs for The Garden Clubs of America.
THROUGH INTERACTIVE ACTIVITIES YOU WILL LEARN TO USE …
– Basic design principles building blocks for a garden plan
– Simple drawing techniques for expressing a design ideas
– Photography to build a digital library of garden features
– Garden tours as a resource of design inspiration
– Plants both native and new introductions
– European, Eastern and U.S. garden history
– Garden accessories, structures, water and sculpture
– Design vocabulary to present your ideas
COURSE MATERIALS INCLUDED IN FEE …
– Design and Plant Materials Reference Book
– Design Sketchbook, Drawing Pencils, Erasers
– All Other Supplies Needed
REFRESHMENTS WILL INCLUDE …
– Morning Coffee Breaks with Snacks
Van Cox, FASLA, Professor Emeritus, School of Landscape Architecture, LSU. Graduate of LSU Landscape Architecture and Art.
Bill Rountree, Owner Rountree Designs