How to Apply
- Complete the FAFSA or LOSFA application by July 1 each year
- Receive an official award letter from the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance (LOSFA) during late summer after high school graduation
Award Amount & Requirements
TOPS pays an amount equal to the tuition and some required student fees. The student fees covered by the TOPS program are those in effect on January 1, 1998, plus any additional fees after that date authorized by the Legislature to be paid by TOPS. Students will be notified of their TOPS level in their initial eligibility letter.
|Award||ACT||GPA||Fall 2013 Award||Spring 2014 Award|
|TOPS Honors Award||27||3.0||$3,344.30||$3,332.55|
|TOPS Performance Award||23||3.0||$3,144.30||$3,132.55|
|TOPS Opportunity Award||20||2.5||$2,944.30||$2,932.55|
Students must meet the following requirements each semester to receive payment for TOPS:
- be enrolled full-time on the 15th day of class each semester
- earn 24 credit hours each year over the fall, winter session, spring, spring intersession, and summer semesters
- continuous enrollment through consecutive fall and spring semesters
- maintain the required GPA for specific TOPS award
- 2.0 cumulative GPA at the end of each fall, intersession or summer semesters
- The following GPA’s will be checked at the end of each spring semester:
- Below 48 hours earned – 2.3 GPA
- 48 or above hours earned – 2.5 GPA
- Performance or Honors Recipient – 3.0 GPA
Students can use a semester of TOPS to pay for a summer semester if they have earned at least 60 hours. Summer use of TOPS will count as a full semester of eligibility but will only pay for tuition of enrolled hours. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 hours to receive TOPS for a summer semester.
A TOPS credit is applied to the fee bill of those who are eligible. Disbursement of TOPS funds takes place mid-semester.
- All regular TOPS requirements must be observed for study abroad use
- Students must be enrolled for full time hours; if host institution is on quarter system then the student must make sure hours earned transfer into full time LSU hours
- If the student returns with fewer hours than expected, the student will be responsible for repaying the TOPS funds that were awarded to them
- Students should complete an enrollment verification form after the 14th day of class and return to Financial Aid & Scholarships to verify TOPS eligibility
- Student must submit their transcript to LSU by appropriate deadline or TOPS will be returned and the current anticipated credits will be cancelled.
- Fall Deadline: April 1
- Spring, Summer, and Yearlong Program Deadline: November 1
- Student participating in a study abroad program through another Louisiana university should notify Financial Aid & Scholarships; TOPS will be disbursed from the host institution
Special Notes about TOPS
- TOPS can only be used within one year of high school graduation
- Remaining semesters of TOPS eligibility can be used for graduate school if used within one year
- Students can apply to have their circumstances considered for failure to achieve the required hours earned or to maintain full-time continuous enrollment by contacting LOSFA at 1-800-259-5626 ext. 1012 or email@example.com.