On April 4, 2017, LSU Discover will host the 4th annual LSU Discover Day undergraduate research and creative endeavors symposium.
Students from all disciplines and colleges at LSU can apply to compete in the poster, oral presentation, visual presentation, or performance divisions, which will be judged by LSU faculty and staff. The events, held in areas throughout the LSU Student Union, are capped in the late afternoon with a keynote speech and awards ceremony. All LSU Discover Day events and presentations are free and open to the public, and faculty are encouraged to promote LSU Discover Day to their classes.
Applications are due February 20, 2017
LSU Discover is pleased to announce that Discover Day 2017 will be open to undergraduate students from all post-secondary institutions in Louisiana.
Presentation & Competition Categories
Poster: Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics division
Poster: Humanities, Social Sciences, and the Arts division
Visual Display: Artwork, 3-D Models, Design, etc.
Oral: Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics division
Oral: Humanities, Social Sciences, and the Arts division
Performance: Dance, Music, Theater, etc.
Each category will be judged by an independent panel of faculty judges, and awards presented to the top submissions in each category.
The Juried Art Exhibition will be installed on March 31. Artwork must be dropped off at the Union Gallery on March 31. The exhibition dates are from March 31 – April 28, 2017.
LSU Discover Day 2017
- September 1, 2016: Online Application Opens
- February 20, 2017: Online Application Closes
- March 3, 2017: Discover Day participants notified of acceptance
- March 20, 2017: Music submissions due in MP3 format from any performance students requiring background music.
- April 2, 2017: All PowerPoint presentations due to LSU Discover (for Oral Presentations), as well as PDF’s of posters.
- April 4, 2017: Discover Day Event
How to Apply
To apply to participate in LSU Discover Day 2017 you will need to fill out an online application form. Applications are due February 20, 2017
Workshops are offered through our Advanced Research Skills Workshop series on how to write abstracts and artist statements. Click here for dates and to register.
- LSU invites undergraduate students from all disciplines to present poster sessions, oral presentations, performances, or visual art exhibits.
- Students must work with a faculty mentor for their project to be eligible.
- Students must be current undergraduates with a graduation date of spring 2017 or later to be eligible.
- Due to space limitations, only two undergraduate students from each project may present a poster or art presentation. All other co-authors will be listed in the program.
- Each student must submit an abstract or statement of 250 words maximum.
- The language used should be understandable not only by someone knowledgeable in the field, but also by a reasonably informed non-specialist.
- The project mentor and all co-authors should review and approve this abstract before it is submitted.
- Instructions for abstracts.
- Please note: you can submit an application even if your project is not complete, though all work must be complete in time for presentation at the event..
LSU Discover Day 2017
Schedule of Events
7:00 – 9:00 a.m. Set-up and registration
9:00 – 11 a.m. Poster Presentations & Art Displays
11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Lunch break
1:00 – 4:00 p.m. Performances
1:00 – 4:00 p.m. Oral Presentations
4:00 – 5:00 p.m. Keynote speech and reception. Keynote Speaker: Dr. Ginesse Listi.
5:00 – 5:30 p.m. Awards ceremony
Judging and Volunteers
Want to help with LSU Discover Day 2017?
We need volunteers to help with set-up, check-in, and clean up. Volunteers can sign up to help anytime between 7 am and 9 pm on April 4th.
LSU Discover is seeking faculty and staff volunteers to judge undergraduate research and creativity posters, presentations, or performances at the annual LSU Discover Day on April 4, 2017.
Faculty, staff, and doctoral students are welcome to serve as judges. If your student is presenting, you will not be assigned to score your own student. All judges will be contacted by March 31st with instructions.
If you have any questions, contact Sarah Ferstel at LSU Discover: email@example.com or 578-8914.