Freshman Automatic Admission Requirements
- GPA: 3.0 academic GPA based on Required High School Courses
- Test Score Requirement (ACT, New SAT, or Old SAT):
- ACT: 22 composite score, with at least
- 19 math subscore
- 18 English subscore
- New SAT*: 1100 total score, with at least
- 500 math score
- 25 writing and language score
- Old SAT: 1030 critical reading & math score, with at least
- 460 math score
- 450 critical reading score
- ACT: 22 composite score, with at least
*These requirements are only valid for students entering LSU in the Summer 2017, Fall 2017, and Spring 2018 semesters.
Additional Factors for Admission
Students who are borderline to meeting admission requirements are still encouraged to apply. Other factors considered for admission may include choice of degree program, rank in class, credit in advanced placement or honors courses, rigor of the high school curriculum, and grade trends.
Required High School Courses
4 units of English
- 1 unit of English I
- 1 unit of English II
- 1 unit of English III
- 1 unit of English IV
4 units of Math
- 1 unit of Algebra I or Algebra I: Pt. 2
- 1 unit of Algebra II
- 1 unit of Geometry
- 1 unit of the following: Advanced Math: Functions & Statistics, Advanced Math: Trigonometry, Advanced Math I, Advanced Math II, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Algebra III, Probability & Statistics, Discrete Math, Applied Math III, or Integrated Math III
4 units of Natural Science
- 1 unit of Biology
- 1 unit of Chemistry
- 2 units of the following: Physics (recommended), Integrated Science, Aerospace Science, Anatomy & Physiology, Earth Science, Environmental Science, Physical Science, Physics II, Physics of Technology I, Biology II, Chemistry II, or Physics of Technology II (Note: 2 units of Agriscience count as 1 unit of a Natural Science)
4 units of Social Science
- 1 unit of American History
- 1 unit of the following: World History, World Geography, AP Human Geography, Western Civilization, or AP European History
- 1 unit of the following: Civics or AP American Government or any combination of Civics, AP American Government, or Free Enterprise that equals 1 unit
- 1 unit of the following: World History, World Geography, AP Human Geography, Western Civilization, AP European History, Economics, Law Studies, Psychology, Sociology, African American Studies, Religious Studies, or 1/2 unit of Civics
2 units of Foreign Language
- 2 consecutive units in a single language
- Sign Language acceptable
1 unit of Fine Art
- 1 unit of the following: Fine Arts Survey, a music performance course, a dance performance course, a theatre performance course, a studio art course, or a visual art course
For automatic admission, an applicant’s high school academic grade-point average (GPA) is calculated solely on the basis of the Required High School Courses, using the standard 4.00 maximum scale (A= 4; B=3; C=2; D=1; F=0). The weighted scholastic GPA is considered in Holistic Review.
LSU accepts both the old format and new format of the SAT. New SAT Requirements for admission are posted on the “Automatic Admission Requirements” tab.
ACT & SAT Writing Scores
The writing section of the ACT or SAT is not required for admission to LSU. Students interested in Ogden Honors College consideration and top scholarships should complete the writing section and have it sent officially to LSU for consideration.
Dual Enrollment GPA Requirement
Students who enroll in dual enrollment courses for college credit must attain a 2.0 college GPA. Dual enrollment is not required for admission to LSU. View more information about transfer of credit.
Letters of Recommendation & Essays
LSU does not require letters of recommendation, essays, or any other types of supplemental documentation for admission. Students interested in submitting additional documentation, should contact their admissions counselor directly for guidance.
Homeschooled students are evaluated on the same criteria listed in the “Freshman Automatic Admission Requirements” tab.
Students interested in making an admission appeal should contact their admissions counselor.